Since becoming gluten free, there are some routines that have been hard to keep up, like pancakes on the weekend.
But not now! Introducing buckwheat pancakes! I first had them at Gav and Sas’s house in Sydney and they are amazing! Admittedly they aren’t fluffly, but as a gluten free replacement, I love them!
They are perfect on the weekend with some banana and maple syrup. And great as a snack to take to work or slathered with Nutella!
I buy buckwheat flour in bulk from a health food store in Parkes, but I think you can also get it from Coles/Woolies.
Makes: 4 – 6 pancakes
- 125 grams buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 150ml milk
- Make a well in the centre of the flour
- Mix in eggs, vanilla essence and buttermilk, gradually scraping in the sides of the flour until it starts to come to together.
- Add the milk and mix until a thick drop consistency
- Cook on medium heat
- Eat with bananas and maple syrup
Recipe Source: from this book, 500 Superfood Dishes, that my step-brother Cam bought me for my birthday. Slightly adapted. (So many good recipes in that book!)