First things first, a quick family update: It’s been a busy few months in the Hayward household! Benjamin Aaron Hayward arrived on the 10th of October at 5:20pm. He is a happy little boy and is growing up so quickly. We are so thankful to God for the safe arrival of our son.
Banana bread was one of the first things I learned how to bake. My mum was always baking us brownies and biscuits to take to school which were delicious (so much so that my brother could trade them!) My Dad, however, would make banana bread for my birthday. This recipe is not so much a cake as a bread, and it certainly hits the spot. It’s thick and dense and chock-full of bananas.
My hot tip is to stock up on bananas when they are cheap and in season, wait for them to go brown, then peel and store in a container in the freezer. When you need to use them, simply defrost them in the microwave!
I’ve played around with the recipe to make it gluten-free, and I think it’s perfect! I have also doubled this recipe with great success.
You can add blueberries as I’ve done in the photos, or leave it as simply banana, either way, you won’t be disappointed!
Cafe-Style Banana Bread
Makes: 1 loaf of banana bread
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
- 150ml sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp psyllium husk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and coconut oil. Add eggs, bananas, sour cream and vanilla; blend well.
- Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup, level off. Add flour, almond meal, bi-carb soda and salt. Stir just enough until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan. Store in the fridge.
Recipe Source: modified this sour cream banana bread recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe to be gluten-free, increased the sour cream slightly and added psyllium husk.